Monday, April 26, 2010

Mind Ur Exercise - One Legged-Shoulder Press Using a Balance Board

Many people have asked me about using balance boards, others have asked me the purpose of the balance board. Plain and simple, a balance board is.... for balance. It helps you with coordination, helps maintain stability and can improve an exercie while decreasing the chance of injury... if done correctly.

This weeks exercise incorporates the balance board or wobble board as it is sometimes referred.

The One Legged-Shoulder Press using a balance board is pretty simple to do. Well at least I think its easy. In the beginning, I recommend having someone with you- I will explain why? Believe it or not, most of us lack good balance. So in order to do this exercise effectively, I would like you to find your balance first before trying to balance the weights.

Stand on one leg on the balance board and try to maintain your balance. Next, lift the other leg. Now, have someone pass you two dumbbells and place one in each hand. Press dumbbells upward until arms are extended overhead. Lower to sides of shoulders. That is one rep. Repeat this exercise 4 times. That equals 5 reps. Now change legs and complete 5 more- giving you a total of 10 reps.

I recommend 3 sets of this exercise.