Monday, November 23, 2009

Forecast for Good Health - The Exclusive Interview Workout with WHDH's Mark Margarit

Admittedly, I was running a few minutes late for my first official Mind Ur Body Fitness blog interview, and I was slightly embarrassed. Who would have expected to bump into so much traffic on a Sunday afternoon?

Okay, okay we’re in Boston. There’s almost always traffic in Boston.

I texted Mark Margarit, and I was relieved to find out that he too was running a few minutes behind. The exhausted meteorologist had just finished his shift at NBC's Boston affiliate, WHDH Channel 7, and was now preparing to give me an interview and show me a mini-workout. We agreed that for this particular interview, and because it’s his preferred exercise routine, I would join him on a run through the city.

I met Mark outside of the Channel 7 studios where he was already doing warm-up exercises. Immediately, I joined in and thanked him for doing the interview. At age 27, Mark wakes up in the morning by 3 and is at the station by 4 to prepare graphics and the weather report for his forecast. So while we stretched, I wondered how he was able to find so much energy. Where does he find the motivation to maintain his healthy lifestyle?

Mark agrees that it is “important to do what you can and not stress it.” When you stress about the workout, “it’s no longer fun.”

I followed Mark towards Whole Foods, down some side streets, and then to the front of an apartment building. This route, he explained, helps him avoid the traffic in the city; specifically the traffic on Cambridge Street and Storrow Drive. We began our run starting at the buildings, crossing the bridge over Memorial Drive, and then along the Charles River. The end point was the Hatch Shell along the Charles. That’s about two miles.

The weather was unseasonably warm and thanks to Mark’s earlier forecast, I was dressed appropriately for the workout. Although Mark and I have completely different careers and are at different stages in our lives, we have similar goals. Staying healthy and staying fit.

Tomorrow find out Mark does to stay fit, trim and strong.

This interview will be posted in three parts.