Thursday, November 19, 2009

Enter the Blogging Dragon


Jiu-Jitsu
Originally uploaded by RafaelPassos
I finally made it to my first Jiu Jitsu class. A buddy of mine had been going for a number of weeks, and has been inviting me to come along on a Tuesday or Thursday night. I promised that one night I would. And I finally made good on my promise... it took a little convincing on my part. 

I decided to do it for my blog. It would be an interesting topic to post since, again, it was my first time. Starting from a beginners point of view and then talking about the experience. Sounds good enough to me... so there was my motivation.

In all honesty, I had no idea what to expect. How many guys would be there, how intense it would be, would I survive!?! I asked my buddy as we arrived to the trainer's house, how bad it was going to be.

"Ken's cool," my buddy said describing the trainer. "Rounds are tough, though. You get exhausted."

That was enough to scare the crap out of me. The pain, I wasn't worried about. I was more concerned with getting tired and embarrassing myself. However, when we got inside, everything seemed very cool. My tension faded as I observed the third member of the class, and then finally, the instructor. These were semi-private lessons, with three students (including myself). At that moment, I decide that this was going to be fun. And it was.

Ken, the instructor was very welcoming, ready to answer any questions I had before we began. He allowed me to keep my sweats on, instead of wearing a gi since it was my first visit. He even waived the $10 fee that he generally charges.

We started off with forms of yoga as a warm up and slowly moved into some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Ken demonstrated techniques such as the Guard position, the Arm Bar, and the Arm Triangle before having us practice them. He was there watching and training with us. Apparently I picked a few of the techniques up pretty fast, but I am no where near the other two guys. the good thing is, we all worked together, and no one over did it.

My favorite move of the day? The tap out. I learned very quickly that it is not good to try and be "The Man" and take the pain. Not only will it begin to hurt, it could cause injury. So I learned how to tap out early, especially when I did a 5-minute round with Ken. I wasn't taking any chances. Ha ha.

But my buddy was right. The rounds were killers. Luckily, my first round was with him. He didn't rough me up... this time. My second round was with Ken. I don't remember much but the thought of pain, and the early tap outs.

So will I return? Most definitely. The workout was great; cardio was awesome. I'm already looking into buying my own gi. I also think it's about time I start looking into some tournaments.  Can I get a Woop Woop?!?

I'd recommend this exercise to pretty much anyone. All ages, genders and sizes. I attached a video so you can get an idea of what some of the techniques looks like.

No comments: