Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Motivating Factor

Many of us have issues with starting an exercise routine, and then after a few weeks, we lose motivation and quit all together. Then we become upset with ourselves. Over the past few months, I've been trying to identify that "one" thing that would keep me going or motivate me to start an exercise regimen (i.e. my subscription to Men's Health Magazine, my vision board, finding a personal training or a workout buddy). But then I realized that there is no "one" thing. It can be all of the above... or none of them.

You have to know yourself and what motivates you to keep you moving or to even "restart" an exercise regimen. A trainer is ideal because he/she can help you define your goals and he/she can also be a motivating factor in your life.

The other key is to ensure that your goals are realistic and attainable in the time allotted. During my interview with Mark Margarit, he stressed the importance of starting off slow and keeping the exercise fun. When you overdue it, it can lead to a loss of motivation.

One simple way, that I've discovered, to get back on the exercise bandwagon is to start doing something that you enjoy. Something that's not strenuous, that won't take much emotional, physical or cognitive stress. I started off with wogging (walking/jogging) and weight lifting, Mark Margarit runs, my wife does yoga, a few of my friends play basketball, and my other buddy does Jiu-Jitsu.

What is it that you like to do, something that won't take much energy to get you off the couch and involved? Can't think of anything? Well I have something for you. The next time you go to the mall or to the grocery store, park as far away as comfortably possible. If you take public transportation, if possible, get off at the train or bus stop before your usual dropping point. And then walk. The next time, power walk.






Check out the full interview with Mark Margarit on Monday.