Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Step Up 2: The Streets



Not the movie, but the movements. I was so inspired by Mark Margarit's workout interview and decided to get my run on. Two miles!! Can I get a Woop Woop!

Well, I didn't exactly run for the full two miles, I did my famous wog (walk/jog), well it was more of a run/walk. I put my iPod on, found some cool tracks.... well okay, I played a Jonas Brothers song. Don't ask me why it's on my iPod. I will just say that my 5-month old daughter is crushing on Nick.

That song got me a few blocks. Maybe even half a mile. I then walked a few blocks. Then ran, then walked. I made it all the way to Shaw's Supermarket to pick up a small item for my smoothie.

Unfortunately I forgot a few important things regarding this trip.

One - When you run in the winter, you have to remember that you're wearing extra pounds of clothes and they will weigh/slow you down.

Two- If you jog to the store, your return trip will include a few items that will also weigh/slow you down.

Because of that, the journey home was a little challenging, but I did get a few runs in. So of course I was/am proud of myself. The total run/walk was 2 miles. I can say I ran for approximately 1.25 miles today. I used to run the full two miles, but I have to remember that I'm starting from my baseline.

Like I said, I owe this run to my workout interview with Mark Margarit. During our two mile run, he told me that he only started running a few years ago. He didn't start off running two miles (he's actually averaging 3-5 miles every other day). Mark was a sprinter while at East Bridgewater High School, but now he does distance runs. "You have to be consistent," he told me. In order to increase your distance, "you have to run often." Add a little more distance in future runs. "Start off slow.. and don't set unrealistic goals," he stresses. "Keep it fun."

 Don't forget, I'm posting the interview with Mark Margarit next Monday, November 23.

 
Smoothie Recipe
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 Tbs flaxseeds
1/2 cup ice



picture originally printed by http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/smoothie.jpg

No comments: